View Single Post
Old 19-12-05, 18:01
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by cmperry4

But, like the rest of the media, she just had to lap up with the cops put on the table and put in their press release. The media runs in its comfortable grooves like a lot of things, and on the gun issue, most of its denizens have bought into the received Liberal view of the gun issue, and don't bother to ask awkward questions. And the Liberals are counting on that.

The Canadian media has for decades been at the cutting edge of political correctness in expunging gender specific titles and nouns from the Canadian lexicon. Chair has replaced chairman, Fisher has replaced fisherman....the examples are numerous, except for one glaring omission: GUNMAN. Canadian media, both print and electronic are addicted to this word and refuse to end it's use inspite of the fact it is very gender specific. I have taken several reporters in Vancouver to task for continuing to use this word. Initially they are slightly taken aback when the realization sinks in that horror of horrors, they are using a non-P.C. word! Why, it's enough to give an Edwardian damsel the vapours! But they quickly recover realizing the need to equate men with guns with violence! One even had the temerity to ask me what other term could he possibly use? After questioning his academic credentials I suggested criminal, perpetrator or a host of other terms! Of course, nothing has changed and the term GUNMAN continues to be the catchphrase of a very anti-gun media in Canada.