Thread: DAK ambulance?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-06, 18:24
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Both pictures show a CMP with a cargo body style which I have rarely seen. Compare it with the picture below: the one on the right has the same body, one which is lower than the regular 3-ton GS cargo body (shown left). It has mudflaps identical or similar to those found on US-built cargo trucks. A US-built body, perhaps?
Interesting question Hanno. The CMP in the bottom right of the photo still has the roundel air recognition symbol so this is probably still early in the war? Perhaps pre-American involvement in which case would it be very likely that we were receiving lend-lease cargo bodies? Whilst surfing the net looking for photos I have noticed many field expedient modifications to trucks, especially those captured by the DAK (check out the truck in the top left hand corner). Any chance these are field modifications to meet a local need? Also, it appears in the photo that none of the trucks have a roof hatch. Is this correct?
One more point....It seems a lot of the CMPs seen in desert photos have a different tyre tread pattern on the front wheels, just as my C15 did when I bought it. My C15 was supposedly in N. Africa. Any thoughts on this?

CHIMO!