View Single Post
Old 08-11-06, 23:08

Default Re: Re: With you

Quote:
Originally posted by m kenny
I think it is more to prevent the kids climbing the trees or throwing objects into the trees to knock down the conkers.
Several children are seriously injured by falls in the conker season and there are even fatalities.
Ah yes climbing trees..... I'm sorry I don't know your first name m kenny

When I was a kid growing up surrounded by estate woodland we all climbed trees and were taught by older brothers or sisters which trees were OK and how to recognise a rotten branch and what would happen if you stood on it. We also learnt to make and shoot long bows from Holly staffs and brown string and as we got older to become proficient with an air rifle and then a shotgun the climbing trees bit then came in useful dodging the keeper. Mine was a standard country childhood in a small Berkshire village nothing special and the same as millions of others of my generation and millions before us. Somehow in this hi tech 21C world it has all become unbelievably dangerous so that the activities above would result in me being put into a form of juvenile care and my loving parents who encouraged me in all these pursuits (with the exception of the poaching) being imprisoned for neglect.. They both strongly believed that these things taught independence, self reliance and a responsibility, all traits that seem by all accounts to be sadly lacking in the majority of children today in this country. To such an extent that I listened to a radio interviewer conducting a serious debate last week examining the reasons why today’s parents appear to be freighted of their own children.

If the keeper had caught us he would have administered quick justice on the spot with his stick and when we got home we would have had another dose from our parents. It was expected and accepted, cause and effect, not so now I fear.

I note and acknowledge your point about a small number of fatalities, indeed as a child I was once in hospital for a week or two and the lad in the next bed had broken his leg and both arms falling out of a tree. But this is the point of this…………….it's a matter of perspective there are more children killed by domestic violence and motor cars than have ever fallen out of trees.

I have encouraged both my children to climb trees, shoot bows, air guns and rifles, drive anything on wheels or tracks and not be afraid to try anything and respect other people and their views and above all else be responsible for their actions.
Although I say so myself they have turned out just fine and at 20 and 21 are happy to travel the world don’t do drugs don’t smoke do enjoy a drink but don’t then go and mug somebody or smash the place up,………… oh and my son is a pretty fair shot to boot.

Hmmm right bit of a rant there….. and not directed at you m keeny ………..but no apologies either I’m afraid. I’ve been building up a head of steam on this for some time all you did was push the button.

This is the sort of thing that will eventually drive me out of my own country where my forbears have lived for at least a thousand years and turn me into one of those angry old B### who live out the last of their days in exile

Angry old Git of Oxford
:dh: