Thread: Zombies
View Single Post
Old 16-11-06, 04:39
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Zombies

Quote:
Originally posted by alvin5182
Gents:

Not to start a flame war, but in my house growing up in the 50s', we were not allowed to mention the name Maurice Richard (the Rocket) when talking hockey (as most Canadians did back then) owing to his lack of "commitment" and ........weak ankles (?) which enabled him to stay over here.

My dad was a 4th Cdn Armoured Div vet (6 yrs overseas-39-45). When I married, my father-in-law (Lincoln and Welland vet) expressed much the same disdain for the Rocket and others.

Water under the bridge, but the old boys had very strong feelings about this.

Al Davis
Hi Al,

Thats ok, I'm a Ma'am and I have a frying pan if I need it for a flamethrower

I've learned a lot about WW2 and other wars since joining MLU almost 4 yrs ago (wow, almost 4 years now!!! Can this be?) I understand the strength of the feelings more and more all the time, as I learn more, of those Vets for who those they thought of as "Zombies".

I understand that my own Dad wanted to serve overseas but was rejected for bad feet but was able to serve as homeservice. his brothers and sister served. I know one brother for sure went overseas and his sister to Newfoundland. I often wonder if overseas Vets thought of my Dad as a Zombie even though he was rejected?

I undertand that a lot of Vets feel just as strongly today as they did back then towards those they figured betrayed and abandonned them when they were most needed overseas and at all the improperly trained lives that could have been saved and so on. That has to be a bitter pill.

My kids father wore a uniform for the Korean war but served at home ... he was going blind.

Time for another coffee and a

Karmen