Thread: cv joint
View Single Post
Old 26-01-07, 01:51

Hi All. Sorry for the delay in replying. Was just about finished with my post and the computer froze. Doesn't like too many windows open at once.

Lynn. I've spoken with some others and they agree it is a good idea to bond the linings.

Phil. I think I will make something to hold the axles. Removed the brake drum and the hub is still heavy.

Bob and Phil
-The joint is 4.75 inches. I have not taken it apart. It is in good shape and tight and still was full of grease. Am wondering if I should use a modern cv joint grease or is any grease okay.

-This axle has the one large nut , like Phil shows on his site. My manual has the two nuts and describes using the spacer and shims for bearing adjustment. This is where I was confused, my axle had no spacer or shims. It was tightened as you would a front wheel on a 2 wheel drive. Are these spacers and shims used so the axle can be securely tightened and still have bearing clearance? The manual sort of shows the spacer goes between the bearings, as 'B' in photo, is this correct. Phil, did your axle have the spacer? Wondered if mine is missing or were they not used on the early models. If one of you had a photo of the spacer, it would help.

-My egg cup has the bronze bushing. Doesn't seem to have a purpose on my axle, there is no machined area on the axle. Wondered if it is used on other applications or have my axles been changed.

-'D' shows the inner grease retainer that did not fit the axle correctly. It flexed and broke in two pieces.

-I am replacing the bearings and seals. Bearings were in rough shape. Found the updated numbers on another post, a big help.

I have afew more pictures
Cheers
Phil
Attached Thumbnails
cmp0038.jpg