Thread: Tone Deaf?
View Single Post
Old 11-02-07, 11:15
Vets Dottir

Default Re: music

Quote:
Originally posted by victor eaton
HELLO VETS
Well i think they are very brave to even have a go at something like that all credit to them i have a grown up daughter she studied classical guitar but gave up when she got married i keep trying to persuade her to get going again to no avail i play five string banjo and am now having a go at pedal steel guitarit looks as though its a mountain to climb so im scrabbling around in the foothills at the moment with this one tell your girls to join or form a band they will get to sing and enjoy them selfs at the same time its difficult to tell whats going on with records its all done too good for my liking i enjoyed the times when people made thier own music no electronics covering things up.
regards vic uk.
Hi Vic,

Thank you for your kind words ... and yes, they were all pretty brave to give this a go, having a pretty good idea of the skills and abilities they would need to even get in the game for a minute I think it would be great if my daughter and her friends got together, wrote some original music and songs, and performed locally, just for the experience and to keep music part of their lives. Start small, build and grow in experience and ability ... and all that ... just for developing it all and if something comes of it, awesome bonus (maybe)

I'll bet your daughter will get back to the music at some point. It's addictive for some people, isn't it?

Like you, I like "the good old days" where the body and voice are developed to sing and play different instruments, and stretching that, as opposed to "everyone can play with machines and distort/create different effects" even though those things can be fun and sound great too. I guess it depends what end results someone wants. I'd like my daughter to develop her voice and abilities just as a self-mastery thing and just keep building on that.

I'm not into the music to those degrees for myself but if I were young again (and ablebodied) I would dive right into it all (including dance) and develop and take things as far as I could go just to see how much I could learn to do.

By the way, I really like banjo sounds.

I think there's some sort of arts and/or music festival happening in Oz (Adelaide?) while I'll be over there but it looks like it costs a fortune to attend so I'll have to sing badly and pound on a frying pan instead. Maybe I'll try and yodel?

I enjoy being around people making music ... music potlucks are great. Everyone brings an instrument and/or their voices and we all do a music jam night. Great fun for everyone. Don't need talent, just need to play and enjoy

G'Night,

Karmen