View Single Post
Old 21-11-03, 01:54
48th Highlander

Default Military drivers license

Six months before the invasion of Sicily, while I was with "B" Company stationed in Auchinleck Captain Cameron called me into his office and told me the Pioneer platoon was being reformed into one tradesman section and two assault sections. They were going to receive a new Nortons motorcycle. and he asked me if I would be interested in being a dispatch rider for the platoon. Having a great dislike for route marching, I jumped at the opportunity. I know this greatly pleased "B" Company because they felt that I was not Guards Regiment material. Well! To make a long story short, a few weeks before the invasion of Sicily headquarters Co. motor pool noticed I had never been in for maintenance inspection so when I rolled in with the bike after having had 3 accidents it was a rolling wreck. I had always thought maintenance was just filling the gas tank. They promptly informed me that my riding days were over and handed me a mine detector and said you are now going to learn the art of removing booby traps. Now the amazing thing about this change, which needless to say deeply hurt my feelings. They did not ask me for the return of my license. My question is, is my license still valid and did it cover all vehicles including bren carriers and Sherman tanks? Also were there any changes made later in the use of this license?