View Single Post
Old 09-12-03, 12:04
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dougiebarder
Mr Spoelstra (sorry if this sounds too formal)
I'll be the first to admit the showers are terrible, but that will be the case for any event at the hop farm and it's the owners that should come in for a good amount of the complaints. I've always worked on the theory that you have to put up with certain things when camping. I think the worst thing the organisers of war and peace did was not raise the price earlier by a small amount a year to cover any inflation and any other increase in cost's rather than by adding it all at once.

dougiebarder (Doug?),

We're just venting opinions here, so there's no need for being formal - please call me Hanno (or McSpool, for that matter).
Beltring for me has been great fun during the past few years as I meet like-minded people there. To me these are people who restore and drive historic military vehicles, and kit them out to varying degrees. Somehow, even though some wear the correct clothing, playing soldier is generally a phase left behind in the teenage years. Mind you, I have no objections to reenactors, other than I have no interest in doing it myself. I even value the ones who make an effort to really display history. On the other hand, I have no interest in those who are merely playing soldier (suggestion: join the Territorial Army). Even though the W&P regulations state uniforms shall not be worn outside the display areas, the first thing I saw when I got to Beltring for the first time was people dressed up as German soldiers directing traffic. Anyway, enough about that.

This year my friends of the Shirrell Heath LRDG decided not to come as elucidated by McStolly. One of the main points he is making is regarding the increase in cost: there can't be any as there have not been any improvements, whereas the claimed increase in number of attendants and visitors should cover inflation with ease.

For me it is simple: an increase in cost - which is considerable anyway when one is coming over from the continent - is not going to keep me away. Bad facilities are not keeping me away either (I have been on excersises with Marines, so I can put up with "certain things" when camping). I can even put up with uniformed people strutting around the showgrounds showing off medals and rank insignia they do not deserve to wear (and wear in an unappropriate manner to boot).
What will stop me coming is when my friends are no longer coming there, and I think next year will be critical for W&P in that respect.

Hanno