Thread: M152
View Single Post
Old 06-01-04, 18:19
West Coaster

Default 15?

Jon,
Kinda figured that one out along the way.... but it was a fun read and challenged my memories about how we had our vans set up. For what ever reason I remember the charging panels to the left and the BB46s on left also but under the table forward. We would get way better than 15 miles out of a C42 and a wac better than that out of a rebro well sited (we also had the benifit of one of the best antenna men in the CF at the time). I thought the table a silly way to mount radios and could never figure out why stacking racks (which came along MANY years later) were'nt locally produced. Having the connecting door blocked off was always a pain too. It was potentially one of the best features of that design... you could get out of the box two ways in case of fire. The next tragic generation of van had only one door and no hatch. When I look at pictures of CMP radio vans that you guys are posting, I can't for the life of me figure out why Canada even bought the Dodge vans (I do know that NA standardization was an issue). But the CMP rad van design looks to me a WAY lot better layout and work space for the field.

I know my van is missing some of the things you mentioned, but I think that this truck never made it to active use from national reserve stocks. It is too basic. Even the exhaust doesn't rise up the passenger's side and never did on this truck. It only has 7K original miles on it and most of those were put on by the first purchaser with whom I've been able to speak with. The AMU mount is on the right rear as I remember them being and there is no holes left over from the right front/above cab AMU mount or the mast support pipe. Also, thankfully, this truck never had the roof racks added so no BIG holes in side of cab.

I've seen the MLU pic you refer to and have asked my old compadres to check for pics they may have in their collections. With our E-lectronic imaging these days these pics rarely have to leave the owner.
Not sure which way the truck will go at this point .. full kitting to mil spec as a museum piece or put a diesel and winch on it and use the truck in my travels. ?? For now Lisa and I are lubing and conducting small repairs to make it road safe. Am also having the thrill of driver training Lisa on the truck at the same time. There is no major rust just surface and she was at one time udercoated. Lots to do before ever having to decide on final disposition. Can see myself as an 80 year old still hauling this truck out to go grocery shopping. Whee.

Cheers
JD