View Single Post
Old 02-01-08, 21:55
Vets Dottir 2nd

Same for long haul buses here too - "Go Greyhound ... and leave the driving to us!" ( their jingle )

Cities and towns usually have a special service "bus" (usually an adapted Van type thing also built for wheelchair accessible and the drivers physically help riders in and out when necessary) for disabled and seniors. You call them ahead of time to book a pickup and drop off time, and still pay, but the fares are much/very lower than taxi ... I think they run around the same or slightly more than local regular busfare. They pick up and deliver door to door People generally use it for shopping, appointments, etc. Here it's usually called something like "Handy Dart"

Outlaying small communities that need to go to bigger communities to access medical services like docs, labs, and hospitals etc, often have a sort of "shuttle service". What kind of vehicle used depends on whats available I guess. I've seen buses, vans, station wagons, etc. Fee's usually reasonable I think as they can take more than one passenger so it pays off and supports running the service. Taxi companies often provide this shuttle service I believe.

Good that you get at least some rebate but if someones income isn't enough to support as many trips as needed, that's rough. Ouch

On the other hand, thank goodness we have some accessible services and stuff because was a time we had zip and I musn't forget that