View Single Post
Old 06-02-04, 05:37
Senior Forum Member

Question Re: Finally some info.

Quote:
Originally posted by davlew25
Hi everybody, I finally got in touch with a WW2 tanker buff up at Borden. He told me that my uncle was definitely in the Ontario Regiment. He said that back then and even now, a lot of members of that regiment just called it Ontario Tank, hence the confusion. He did go in at Juno Beach on D-Day and his Regiment fought in the battle for Caen.
davlew25;

Your WW2 tanker buff up at Borden is full of S**T or has taken it upon himself to rewrite history. The 11th Canadian Armoured Regiment (Ontario Regiment) never landed on D-Day in Normandy, nor did they fight in any of the battles for Caen and for that matter, they never saw any action in Normandy, for the simply reason, that at the time of the D-Day landings and the battles for Caen, they were still down in Italy with the rest of the 1st Canadian Corps and the Ontario Regiment did not arriive in North-West Europe until March of 1945, when the 1st Cdn Corps came up from Italy to rejoin First Canadian Army in North-West Europe. The following link is to the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps Association website and a Historical Sketch of the Ontario Regiment in the Second World War, read it for yourself.

http://www.rcaca.org/r-Ontarios.htm