View Single Post
Old 09-03-08, 17:21
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Freathy View Post
Hi Derek

The lads are correct re the trailer but take another look at the photo in the centre are two workshop trucks these belong to a batch of U S Navy beach recovery and repair units, a small number were set up on the beaches to repair and move on as quickly as possible broken down and drowned vehicles and repair damaged landing craft.. The GMC is a standard chassis with the higher tilt to accomdate the workshop but the box type behind is also a Jimmy but has large single tyres unusual for this period but obviously designed to cope with soft sandy conditions, some where i have a photo of another set up showing two GMCs with large singles
cheers
Les
Good pick up Les, I hadn't noticed the single tyres on the one truck...not something one see's very often. I have a pic of a CCKW with with dual wheels on the front, something I understand wasn't uncommon. I imagine the U.S. equivalent of REME were very busy in the days following June 6th. There's lots going on in this picture...Weasels, Jeeps, Jimmy's, Hedgehogs, Belgian gates.

CHIMO! Derek.