View Single Post
Old 29-04-16, 00:18
GM Fox I

Default Wireless of the Week - week 11

Wireless Sets, Canadian No.43 Mk.II entered service in 1944 and is an enhanced version of the 1943 vintage No.43 (no mark) set. It is a high power, mobile transmitting station intended as a general purpose communication unit. It could be used as a ground station or in a 30 cwt ’Lorries, Wireless Special’ which towed a trailer with a generator to power the equipment. It was Canadian designed and built patterned after the British No.12 High Power set and used for communication between formations at the division, brigade and army level.

The main component of the set is the ‘Transmitters Canadian No.43 Mk.II. Its three major sub units (Audio Unit, lower; Master Control Unit, centre and; Final Amplifier Unit, top) were set in a steel case and could be easily removed for service. A fan drew air in through a filter on the rear of the set for cooling. The transmitter was 42” tall, 20-1/2” wide, 23” deep and weighed 271 lbs (which is why I don’t want one even if I found one). Below the transmitter was a ‘Supply Unit Rectifier’ that provided correct voltages to the transmitter and was 15-5/8” tall, 30-1/4” wide and 18-1/4” deep weighing 340 lbs. It was powered by an Onan W2S generator. The receiver unit was a ‘Reception Sets, Canadian V.R.I.’ (V.R.I standing for Vancouver Radio Laboratories) and could be located away from the transmitter. The entire station could be operated remotely using Remote Control Units No.1 (Canadian).

Aerial gear, including ‘F’ sections and 34’ masts, remote units (RCU’s) and even Wireless Set No.19 control units were used. Specialized tools and spares boxes were supplied.

The transmitter covers an AM frequency range between 2 to 12 megahertz in two bands, 2 to 5 MHz and 5 to 12 MHz. It was capable of RT (Radio Telephony or ‘voice’) and WT (Wireless Telegraphy, or ‘morse’) with a range of 50 to 75 miles (RT) as a mobile station. Power required to run the station was 117 volts though a transformer would allow for operating between 105 to 130 volts and also between 220 to 265 volts.

The manual for the 43 set includes warnings and a number of cartoons showing what happens to signalers who ignore them indicating this is a powerful set that can injure or kill if not operated correctly.

I have never seen or heard of a surviving 43 set and would be most interested if anyone knows the whereabouts of one.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg