Old 11-09-16, 08:48
Tony Baker

Level now has a new bubble inside.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160911_152955-resized-1280.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	84955
A new vial was found that was the exact size I wanted.

A fortnight ago, I made a trip to get the main brake parts.
The pull rods, cross shaft brackets, and U bolts are finished and temporarily fitted.

Name:	20160904_192035-resized-1280.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	84956 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160911_134327-resized-1280.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	84957
Some minor finishing pieces for the brake system are yet to be received, and one of the cross shaft bushings is being fabricated by a friend of mine, who is also a MLU member!

Name:	20160911_134313-resized-1280.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	84958 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160911_134727-resized-1280.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	84959
Speaking of the cross shaft piece, the handbrake lever attached to it, has a slight bend that will be knocked out tomorrow afternoon. A neighbour and I will tackle that job after work. He has an oxy set and an anvil. It'll be basic blacksmithing work, but because the lever is welded to the cross shaft, a second person is needed to hold the shaft up, while the other one belts the brake lever back into shape again. It's fairly thick metal, so will take some persuasion.

I won't be getting the sight assembly I wanted. Although a repairable one was available here in Australia, another from UK became available and was in full working order. I overlooked the local one, in preference for the better condition (and dearer) overseas one. Wasn't fair to keep the other guy hanging after I had decided to spend the extra for other one, which as it turns out won't be happening, so guess I get none out of two. A technical hitch with export/customs leaving UK caused the package to be returned to sender. Apparently the issue was their inability to scan within the multiple layers of metal, and because they couldn't be sure there wasn't anything hidden inside, they rejected the parcel. Afterwards, the shipping company stated the assembly could have proceeded if it had been totally pulled apart, for internal imspection. There's a lesson learned at considerable time and expense, to both parties involved.

Once the remaining brake pieces arrive, they and the cross shaft (with lever) will be finished and put in place, completing the entire axle. Because I don't have anything else to start on, I'll be stopping work on the gun at that point, so another post or so will see the end of progress for an unknown period.