View Single Post
Old 24-07-06, 14:34

Default The John Bellfield Collection

Before I get too involved, let me say John is a heck of a nice guy and what he has done for our hobby/interest here in Australia defies words. Although he has a crew of volunteers, ( which like most volunteers goes unmentioned) his collection was without peers and not just in this country. As a collector and restorer, I envy him.
Yes, John did offer it to the govt as a collection. At the time, one of the covenents was it was to be entire. The decision was made not to purchase the entire colection as almost (and I state ALMOST)every item John had is either on display or in storage within the Army History network of museums. (eg genuine complete and going AC1 and AC3.) So why buy more of what you already have when the money you spend comes from taxpayers. Let's face it, the majority of taxpayers probably really aren't interested in spending up large (or really understand) in what we do anyway.
Those items kept in storage are used to rotate displays around, to keep exhibits new & interesting. You have to keep the public coming back.......
What many people didn't realise too, is that many of the items were non runners, incomplete, or inaccurate in some way as to AWM requirements. Both the Churchill and Chaffee were empty hulls. Range wrecks rebuilt tend to have some damage etc. Plus the fact that the sheer cost of rebuilding a Churchill for example in Aust would be ridiculous. We never had very many and shippage of parts from overseas would be way out of the question. Again, why purchase something your network already has.
As mentioned some time ago the Ha Go went to the AWM before the auction. To be honest, it would not have been allowed out of the country anyway.
Some of the WW2 training aids have also found their way back to Pucka as did the experimental light tank. Although information is still lacking on that.
It was good to see the mine damaged M113 go to the Tank Museum at Pucka. Two Australian soldiers lost their lives in that vehicle. That gentlemen is historical provinance, and to be honest was disposed of initially through a very big bungle (Leave it to our officer corps). At least it was John who found it and it wasn't scrapped.
Again, what John has done is to be commended. His devotion to his/our interest is far more than most of us could ever entertain. So many have scoffed at the AWM and history network for not purchasing it before it was broken up, that gentlemen is why.

We, unlike everyone else, have to justify to the taxpayer (not just to our wives) what we spend.

Last edited by Ian Pullen; 24-07-06 at 14:39.