Thread: Remote control
View Single Post
Old 02-10-21, 01:47
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
I have seen a number of them in the last year or so being flogged as ‘Commando Radios’ with the price jacked up a few more quid to go with that, but I cannot fathom where that name for them came from.

I also see one currently on eeePay with the Date ‘1945’ on the front of it being used as the ‘Serial Number’.

I would slap my forehead but I am holding two drinks at the moment...

David
Dave Dave Dave. Longstanding rules of the game are that if you put 'airborne' or 'commando' on it it's worth at least triple. Gets the world of warcraft couch commandos all a'blather and their e-transfers all a'humming.

My favourite marketing trick is 'Jungle Carbine' to identify a British No.5 Mk.1 rifle. The No.5 was a late war lighter, shorter replacement for the No.4 and was not intended particularly for jungle use. So how did the name 'Jungle Carbine' come about? It seems some surplus dealer in California in the 1960's wanted to move a batch and made the jungle connection much as we are seeing with 'commando' now. It worked, so well in fact the name has stuck to this day. I refuse to use it.

On a more serious note, do these remotes even have serial numbers? If so where because I can't find it.