Thread: Remote control
View Single Post
Old 02-10-21, 03:42
GM Fox I

Thanks Dave, so it would have been after the 'No. ' on these Dominion Electrohome Industries 1945 examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Hi Bruce.

They actually all were stamped with a serial number by all three manufacturers; sadly, they all used the same method, which was crap for long-term survival. I never found a readable one on a Northern Electric product but found several with LOTS of TLC on R.C.A. and Dominion Electrohome Industries ones:

RCA

1942: C 03061, C 05661

1943: C 25113

1944: C 33237

DEI

1945: C 60633, C 62404 and C 65020

The ‘C’ and the Number were stamped separately with as much as one half inch of gap between them using a mechanical number stamp. The type offices used to have years ago with an attached ink stamp and a choice of sequential, or repetitive numbering functions. The problem was they used a very thin white paint that you can see through very easily when dried. The Stamps were ¼-inch Roman Style Font.

With the paint being so thin to start with, left exposed for any length of time, it simply oxidized over time and rubs off. If it gets over painted, it is protected, if you know it might be there and are very, very careful. I used to rub back with extremely fine emery paper, or 0000 steel wool and finer, using a water dampened cloth to clear off the dust. As soon as you start to see white marks, REALLY slow down and take your time.

I am not certain, but DEI might have been the only manufacturer by 1945.

David
Attached Thumbnails
SIG48.JPG