View Single Post
Old 05-03-08, 16:05
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Burgess View Post
Identification
I know which were the main types of dozer/tractor used by the British forces in NW Europe - How would I identify the type from a picture? - that is how would I distinguish a Cat D4 from a Cat D7 from an International ?
And what other types were used by other Nations?

Noel, I've been waiting in the wings hoping someone would answer your questions so I wouldn't have to expose my utter lack of knowledge on the subject. I'll present what little I know about bulldozers in the hope someone will exclaim, "What's that berk goin' on about now!" and set us both right.
I know of three main manufacturers of large bulldozers for the Allies, Caterpillar, International Harvester, and Allis Chalmers. There were other manufacturers of heavy equipment and tractors such as Case, Clark, Barber Ellis, Le Tourneau, and I think JCB to mention a few but as far as I know they didn't make bulldozers other than the dimunitive CA-1. (Jump in anytime guys.) Each type had what a Detroit auto manufacturer would call "design elements", i.e. the Cat D4 and D7 had a flat radiator grill perforated with round holes while the Allis Chalmers had a curved grill with horizontal slats. One should take the time to peruse various pictures of the different bulldozers and you'll start to see some subtle and not so subtle differences. As for raising the blade, I've seen two methods; hydraulic and winch but I couldn't tell you with any definitiveness which manufacturer used what. This is barely a primer on the subject and as I said, hopefully someone else will post further info.

CHIMO! Derek.
Attached Thumbnails
Bulldozer D4 Attu Island.jpg  
Attached Images