View Single Post
Old 26-04-04, 20:15
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
[B]My ancestry is pure mongrel. Scots, Welsh and English, though not necessarily in that order...
Goodness knows where the line goes, the name is uncommon though and the first recorded mugging was a Lady Mabel deNotton back in 1100 and something.

Quote:
FV623 - try talking to your MP, and suggesting that we scrap political correctness with a view to sentencing criminals instead of victims. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .MPs don't half vanish quickly when they find out that the public ( ie. their employers) have opinions that don't match their 'party line' !!!!

Oh yes! I'm gonna try that one, what a wizard and appropriate jape.

Quote:
Chichester - the posh bit of Sussex a hotbed of crime.... you surprise me.
Well, depending on shifts girly-pig-daughter will be at Overlord, you can ask. Bloody surprised me too I can tell you. 'Parrently the up-market cities are the place for criminal middle and top management, they can afford it and blend in. I'm told behind the snooty veneer of such places as Chichester, Bath, Cheltenham etc. the goings-on are an eye-opener.

Quote:
JD - quite correct - the 'monkey' was a tray with holes in that the sailors used to hold their 'ready use' ammo. In cold weather the tray contracted faster than the cast iron balls and caused them to roll around the deck. To coin a phrase - Ooooohhhhh Nasty! LOL
Yes, bloody well done JD 9/10.

In Nelson's day any handy thing, including the impressed sub 10yr olds fetching and carrying, were called monkeys. Cannon balls, not to be confused with Winnington-Balls, were racked on a brass triangle with very shallow location indents, then had a second and third layer and a single ball on top to make a small pyramid.

Care to take a stab at "got me over a barrel" and "The devil to pay" ?

R.