View Single Post
Old 26-07-04, 22:45
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Murray
I still feel I need guidance here. Do I post photos from the AWM for example that are available to anyone with about 100 hours of free time to penetrate all of those images or do you lads prefer to dig them up for yourselves? I have one full size filing cabinet drawer of just AWM images, some are saved to my photo file the rest I just printed to paper for reference. As I have the reference numbers, I can always go to the site and download the pic to the photo file.

I understand I have more or less asked the same question earlier in this thread and we threw around a lot of ideas but I didn't get a concrete sense that we came to a final conclusion. I am more excited than you can imagine to have finally at least gotten to the beginning stage of starting to share all this stuff but I am also a team player and I want to be sure I am helping, not hurting.
I did get a message from Hanno regarding being selective about the quality of pics posted here and I will be more careful in that sense. I can preview the stuff so I won't send any more crappy ones like I did in the very beginning.
Bill, first of all, I'd like to commend you for trying to learn new tricks (I'm not saying you're an old dog, by the way ). My dad really started working with computers when he retired some eight years ago, and at almost 74 he knows more about them than I do. A big difference is the speed of learning - my experience is that younger people simply try and muck about, not really knowing what they are doing, while older, more experienced people try to really understand what they are doing.

Your pictures are very worthwile seeing! Even though some of them might be of bad quality to begin with, the pic of the Ford/M-H used by your father's Battalion is spoiled by the way it is digitized - do you see the squares? That's the disappointing thing, as I know a better quality scan can be made from this picture - and I'm a beginner. I have edited and attached a picture you posted here and of which you sent me a scan earlier on to show what I mean. Come to think of it, I think your scanning is fine, editing them into proportions this forum can manage is where the problem is.

What I am trying to do is to prevent you from scanning dozens or hundreds of pictures at wrong settings, and save you a lot of time having to do it all over again. Try to harness that excitement - you're one of the generation that really knows what they're doing, remember? Take your time really getting the hang of scanning and editing pictures, then scan the ones you want to share and set up your own internet web page and/or photo album. It will allow you to use the settings your pictures deserve (see above). Use the pull versus push principle - if someone is interested they will find them and ask for more and/or can discuss them on this forum.
There's no need to scan photos which are already available on the internet, you can refer to them by posting the URL, or if possible, make them show up in your message using the a link using the "IMG" command.

HTH,
H.
Attached Thumbnails
ygp12d.jpg