View Single Post
Old 27-09-15, 16:24
carrier mech

Manitoba has antique plates, which are only good for parades, events, and to and from the repair shop. No random Sunday drives. It is basically liability insurance, and costs under $100 a year.

The Manitoba Association of Auto Clubs (MAAC) is the umbrella organization that deals with our government insurance company Autopac. If a parade or event is published in their newsletter, then you are definitely good to go. The various clubs will feed their events up to MAAC for publication.

MAAC negotiated for another plate and insurance plan: the collectors plate. A lot more expensive, it combines the insurance required during the warm months with layover insurance for the winter months. It is significantly more than antique plates, requires a safety inspection, and limits the size of the vehicle below 10K pounds.

For myself, there are some military vehicles I drive to work which get regular insurance, and some which only go to the odd display in which the antique plate fills the need. I have not used the collectors plate yet, but may look into it in the future.

I suspect Autopac and the government would just as soon we all drove 5 year old or less vehicles with full safety inspections. Lobbying them for exemptions is very difficult, which is why we have MAAC: there is strength in numbers. Mind you, since our insurance is a government mandated monopoly, getting them to make concessions is difficult.