View Single Post
Old 03-11-17, 00:12
VMVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlé Sylvain View Post
In my truck there was a french flathead but very bad mounted with the french stock water pumps , there are higher than the canadian one , so I thouth that that was the reason why they had to lift the engine hight and twist the crossmember.
That makes some sense. Perhaps another case of "bush engineering" to make do with the available components. May also explain why you have seen the same modification on another truck. Never saw it here but there are not many French Flatheads in Australia! I would think the rubber insulator as part of the rear transmission mount would tear loose from the steel part if it was left attached while trying to remove the engine and transmission as a unit.
Still the rubber is well attached (vulcanized?) and it may still be possible to bend that crossmember via the rear transmission mount. It's all about mechanical advantage.

I cannot count the number of times I have seen modifications to these vehicles in order to keep them going or use them for another purpose.

Perhaps there is a thread there: "Bush engineering of CMP Trucks"
It might become the longest ongoing thread!

Cheers,

Jacques Reed