View Single Post
Old 29-03-08, 22:23
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Hi Derek..
My German is shakey but 'Rohrladung is the equivilant of our Bangalore torpedo...

M1A2 bangalore torpedo Rohrladung Stahl 3 Germany (WWII)
Thanks, Alex, et al for the info. I've found scant info on the internet (so far) regarding this device although it was discussed on the "Axis History forum" where I copied this passage:

"Finally found the only reference I've got that provides any details on the German equivalent of the allied Bangalore torpedo.

German Demolition Equipment AFHQ Engineer Section May44
pp.27 & 28, Plate XXV, Fig 15 & 16

Gestreckte Ladung, 2 types
Type A Rohrladung 3kg - 1.9inch Inside Diameter, 43.3inch length (minus nose cap), 9lb gross weight (including nose cap), 3kg / 6lb 2oz TNT bursting charge. Tube made from 0.06inch steel tubing.
Nose cap was a ogival shape on a cylindrical base. The cylindrical base was held into the lead end of the tube by two metal clips on the nose cap base cylinder and two retainer clips on the tube.
Type B was a longer tube type with a 2inch Outside Diameter, 7ft to 7.5ft length, made from 16AWG steel tubing. Each has a 1ft long mating sheath on one end. Each has a standard detonator well at one end, from which an instantaneous fuze cord runs to the other end.

The drawings show one Type A (with a faired nose cap) coupled to two of the Type B. The drawings also show what appears to be a specialized firing module that fits in the firing end of the tube that allows for use of either an embedded friction iginter with a 30second chemical fuze, or installation of various types of pull igniters into the standard detonator well.

The text indicates sympathetic detonation fired the entire device, and that the devices were airdropped with Fallschirmjäger in Greece and Crete."

Looks like I've got some more research to do. Thanks all!

CHIMO! Derek.