View Single Post
Old 30-03-24, 17:47

Default CASES, Spares, No. 1 Cdn No. 52. ZA/CAN/BR 2349

I am not sure when either of my two Spare Parts Cases last had their Contents Lists fitted to the inside of their lids but as of this weekend, these lists have now been refitted.

The Yellow Carpenters Glue worked very well, but if you choose to go this route, I highly recommend using a decent hair dryer on high heat, along with a few other tricks.

When the lists were cut to final size, the coat of clear acrylic lacquer made them curl over themselves. I was able to solve this by wrapping them lengthwise around a section of grey plastic 3/4-inch electrical conduit just before applying the glue to the backs of them. I used a 3/4-inch wide black foam wedge brush to spread the glue across the backs and then place them on the inside padding of the case lid. The nice thing about this is if any excess glue oozes out from under the list, that is a good thing. That happened with the factory originals with no sign they ever bothered to clean the blobs and runs of glue up. I used the hair dryer on the top of the list with one hand while working the list down flat with one finger and finger nail on the other hand. The trick is to get the edges set quickly and then slowly press excess glue out from under the list as needed. It is pretty easy to see when the edges will stay put and the creamy colour of the glue changes to the translucent yellow in about 48 hours in a warm room. If some of the glue blobs are a bit lumpy, they can be gently pressed flat with your finger once they skin over a bit and a little time with the hair dryer will set them nicely.

Back on Page 34, Post #994 of this thread, you can see what the interior of this Spares Case looked like when I obtained it, as compared to the look of it now with a Contents List back in place. The level of lacquer gloss on this list is a very close match to the list I have in the Remote Receiver Case, so I am happy with that as well.

Apart from still having to add the correct C-Broad Arrow markings to my three cases and boxes for the 52-Set, this portion of the project is at a happy point for me now and I can now finally focus fully on the work required to bring the Supply Unit for the main set back to an acceptable level of looks and operation.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Cases, Spares 60.JPG   WS No. 52 Cases, Spares 61.JPG