Thread: FGT Restoration
View Single Post
Old 03-10-22, 02:22
carrier mech

The frame is coming along, but I need to clear the yard before snowfall. We may have some wet flurried towards the end of this week, although permanent snow is still likely a month and a half away. But anything left on the ground will get plowed, so I put the axles back onto the frame (loosely) and placed the powertrain on pallets.

The frame was sandblasted and most of the required brackets have been moved across and bolted on. I also sandblasted and painted a couple rims and installed 4 tires that I had picked up last fall. They are a Chinese brand, but I think they look better than the US bar tread which I was saving for this project.

There is also a shot of one of the body mount brackets, showing where some worker was having a bad day. He was nowhere near on center. I will replace that bracket with one from the other frame.

I have new bushings for the front suspension and have ordered the necessary bushings and pins for the back suspension. I also found a couple of spare overload spring packs out in the lineup out back to replace the bent ones. I am also waiting for a pair of truck type waterpumps so I can install the engine and transfercase into the frame before winter.

I may not get my rolling chassis to the state I wanted it this fall, but at least it is mobile again.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0138.jpg   DSCF0139.jpg   DSCF0140.jpg   DSCF0141.jpg