View Single Post
Old 14-08-11, 10:10
Tony Baker

Default Todays Efforts

In stark contrast to yesterday, I managed to get a little done by nightfall.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8140112.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	43204 Click image for larger version

Name:	P8140113.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	43205 Click image for larger version

Name:	P8140115.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	43206
What I had initially believed to be an internal 'bearing' part stopping me from getting the hub off, actually turned out to be extreme gunk of 70 year old grease, dirt & ....well...god knows what. So caked was the brake shoes that it's hard to see how thick they are without all the 'lava' attached. Disgusting stuff. Thank Jehova for parts washers, where the bits will be resting until I can scrape the krudd off (K. Rudd, get it?).

Forgot to take a photo of the outer bearing components, which are in quite good condition. Bearings will both be OK to re-use, though lock nuts show evidence of treatment from someone who I wager didn't have the correct size tool to undo them & used a flat instrument against the nut to bash loose. Fortunately, I DO have the right tool, so no further damage today!

Name:	P8140109.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	43207
Spindle is smooth, and no defects found. I will know more once I wipe the excess grease off properly. Axle shaft OK also.

Name:	P8140108.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	43208
In this photo, the brake drum has already been treated to an intial clean. It took around 45min of cleaning to get to this stage. In places, gunk was 1/2in thick!
I thought wheels were heavy, but a greasy brake drum is even bloody worse. I'm feeling it in the back already. Even when I finish this side, there's still the other side to do.

Oh, Andy, Chevs are OK I guess............if you can't find a Ford!
Aren't you lucky Chev used some Ford parts? Don't think Ford ever needed to resort to Chev parts though. You cheeky bugger!

Last edited by Private_collector; 14-08-11 at 10:16. Reason: More to add