View Single Post
Old 29-11-16, 23:44
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bell View Post
Chris

Thanks for the info.

I got the plate to install with my WSC as indicated in Pamphlet "Wireless Sets No 19, 19 HP, 19/19, HP/19 in Trucks 15 CWT, 4x4 Personnel and Trucks, 15 CWT, Half-Tracked, Personnel", "Fitting Instructions", Jan 1945.

In this there are some line drawings which appear to show the plate mounted on top of the WS19 and also on top of the WS19 HP... and in the manual there are frequent references to the ATU and Control box being mounted with screws on...

Wireless Sets No 19, Plate, Mounting No 1.

Alas no ZA number given for this part.
That will be in the "Installation Kit List", which in your case you have not got[1].

Does your plate have the L.H. notch and duplicated hole patterns?

The White Scout Car, being an open topped vehicle would be a good use for those plates, as any fixed aerial bases could be fed from the one on the plate with a standard feeder cable (plug that simulates an 'F' rod, length of P11 cable and a spade or ring terminal). Quick to connect or disconnect, and the whole set is demountable for ground use if required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bell View Post

However, I then acquired and fitted the Canadian WS9... so the plate never got used.

I will retain the plate though as in the short term, it may be the only way I do get to mount the WS38AFV... though initially to keep things simple (and given a lack of documentation and pictures) I will only install the standard WS19 set up... and also, a lack of suitable bolts to attach it to the top of the WS19 make using it a bit harder too.

Cheers

Tim
Depending on the introduction date of the Firefly, you ought to be able to fit a WS19 Mk.III with Canadian supply unit (or the U.S. Mk.II with Eicor supply unit) and dispense with the battery selector box as they can both run off 24 volt 2 or 3 wire systems.

As for bolts, I think we need 2BA set screws, and I will work out the length necessary and order some - if they're under 1" long they're only 20p each.

I don't have a lathe right now (house move and hostile ex-family) so can't machine suitable grooves to make them captive screws.

The Part 0 EMER for the WS38AFV shows a steel angle frame with what looks like webbing securing straps to fit on the WS19. It might be a fairly simple job to mock this one up. (I doubt that anyone would be in a position to challenge its authenticity, given the rate of equipment development in WW2.)

The Centurion (O.P. Tank) with WS38AFV install is definitely post-WW2, and someone on the WS19 group was recently extremely confused by a supposedly WS19HP control lead (12-pt - 12-pt with 2-pin socket) that put the amplifier onto continuous transmit. The "control" socket was connected across 12V instead of in series with HT2+ and was obviously from the WS38AFV kit (which taps 12V from the split primary of the Canadian dynamotor supply unit).

Chris.
[1] cf: "The naming of parts." Henry Reed

Last edited by Chris Suslowicz; 30-11-16 at 22:44. Reason: Typo correction.