Thread: Heads Up: 10.50-16 directional tyres
View Single Post
Old 06-03-07, 02:46
Derek Heuring

Default Latest on 10.50 X 16 tyres

First of all, let me say this re: petrol prices in Ol' Blighty....OUCH!! You'd think all that North Sea oil would help keep prices down!
Now to business. Talked to Wallace Wade today so here's the latest poop:

Delivery date:
S.T.A. (Specialty Tires of America) made a small batch of the 10.50 X 16 Chevrons but apparently didn't like the finished product so they changed the mold and have made another small batch for testing which will slightly delay the roll out of these tires. They seem to be rather secretive about their tire production as they won't even send Wallace a picture of the tire. The tires are being tested for tread life, temperature build-up , and traction for which there are mandatory federal standards. Wallace says that testing could take up to 30 days and will contact me when the testing phase is completed and production begins.

Price:
He has already taken several orders for these tires and as of TODAY (my emphasis) the price remains $172.80 FOB factory which is located in Pennsylvania. Wallace did tell me that he is gambling by continuing to offer these tires at that price as the final wholesale price to him has not yet been set and could rise by the time production begins. If the price of oil continues to rise in the U.S., we can expect the price of the tires to rise accordingly. Now might be the time to place your orders.

Shipping:
Wallace told me this: He has both shipped tires to Canada and has had Canadian customers pick their tires up at the factory. He has been asked to and will write whatever you want on the invoice; Museum property, off-road use only, parade vehicle etc. etc. if it will save you having to pay duty on the tires. If you live close to the border, you might want to consider making a bulk purchase and sending someone with a truck or trailer to pick them up. No customs brokerage services are necessary.

Rating:
The tires are 8 ply, load range D. Wallace was unsure of their load carrying capacity but told me that they will be at least 3030 lbs. per tire which is the same as the 9.00 X 16 NDTs. There are no problems with D.O.T. acceptance as both countries test their tires similarly.

So there it is. The tires will be available soon although at what price is unsure. Now is probably the time to buy, unless you have insider info that world oil prices are going to drop. If I can help anybody in anyway with their purchase, please contact me at my email address