View Single Post
Old 12-05-14, 16:37

Default Guess I'm a Luddite

Hi Keith

You pose an interesting question and to a certain level I'm a Luddite. I've had face book and twitter accounts but have discontinued both. The thing that bothered me with both, people tend to post of the cuff remarks without really thinking through what they wanted to say. It is as if the "social media" comments were of no real importance. This is not what I have observed with MLU people seem to care and give some thought to what they say on MLU.

I follow a couple of antique car and military vehicle forums but find most tend to be less interest to me.

Editing our MV club's monthly newsletter people are always asking about why we don't have a social media presences. When I explain we have tried them but with a hundred or so members and with only two or three posts a week we just don't have critical mass to make it work.

I discontinued both my Facebook and Twitter accounts when they started collecting information that were obviously more to do with what information could they sell rather than "free social media". I have a google and g-mail account because my kids like to send photos that way but it really started to bother me when the advertisements on the side of the g-mails started to be linked to what was said in the e-mails. But my real reason for dropping the facebook account was because there was little of interest to me I'd forget to check it.

Every now and then just for fun I send long list of random words just to see what kind of advertisements it will draw.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com