Thread: How To: 1944 Chev HUW restoration
View Single Post
Old 03-10-22, 14:08
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Hi Bruce.

There was a fairly well defined division of labour in the CMP cab; the Driver drove and the Co-Driver would navigate on his behalf. By 1944, if Map Lights were being fitted in the cab, it would seem more logical for them to have been positioned on the left side for the Co-Driver, like the Signal Buzzer in the WIRE-5 15-cwt.

Any new wiring showing up on the Driver’s side of the cab would likely be to assist in operation of the vehicle. Perhaps specific wiring to mount the suction cup style, glass windshield defroster assemblies for example.

I wonder if the AEDB Design Records shed any light on this mystery.

David
Hi David. How these were used (except for bubba) is as interesting as the mechanicals themselves.

There is no question where the map light sits...I have the lamp and the holes. It sits on the channel frame just under the windshield smack in front of the co-driver on the left. The question is if the feed wire comes from the centre of the vehicle (what I'm calling the engine bay) along that windshield channel to the lamp (which I think is correct and there's a hole for it plus the wire is completely protected) vs. along the left frame rail and up through my mystery hole. There really is no other options and no need for anything else electrical in that location. Maybe my hole was bubba after all and he just got lucky with a notch on the underside. For now it stays plugged.

The only record I recall reading about HUWs many years ago was a list of things that broke and fell apart after one of those army torture test runs. It was quite a long list leading me to believe these trucks were somewhat fragile. No matter, I intent to baby her.

Last edited by Bruce Parker (RIP); 03-10-22 at 14:36.