View Single Post
Old 17-01-23, 03:55

Default Tie rods part number????

We had a close inspection of about 4 or 5 sets of tie rods....... most of them removed from the tie rod itself and not necessarily matched pairs....... all are the ones that can be taken apart........ I did take one apart years ago but can't find it and was sightly different in the internal construction.

Anyways...one set of the better tie rod ends still wearing some OD green color, compared to all the others which have been sand blasted during their life span underneath a CMP.

So only one set had the following numbers..... 24V26 F and 2425 F ......
lettering is raised on the casting but rather faint and only after removing very hard green paint with a wire wheel could we read them...... the numbers were located on the back face just above the two holes for clamping.....

One is obviously RH and one LF...... speculation..... is the F for FORD..... we know that the same tie rods was fitted on both Chev and Ford...... and both were involved in a joint venture during the design stage....... some parts being more GM and some being clearly Fords..... how about Marmon-Herrington...? may need to visit the CWM wearing work clothes with a flashlight and my camera telephone......

Progress on searching the Hollander Interchange manual edition 1949-50 of 504 pages showed little on tie rod ends....one page focusing on Graham, Larabee, Studebakers, etc........ although they list parts for Russian -cases....

...and I a searching my photo library for the one Tie rod end that I took apart years ago........ there is a possibility that I reassembled it and is now used on my C15a.......

We do have other complete axles and rolling frames that still have the tie rods installed BUT are buried in deep snow at the moment...... might have to dig a few hole to get down underneath for a closer look..... done that before!

One positive aspect...... the female end of the T. R. measured by Rob is identical.....being 1 1/4 inch and 12 t.p.i........castled nut is 3/4 inch 16 t.p.i.

Sketch of the T.R. with dimensions ..... tomorrow......

More to follow......
Canada