Thread: How To: 1944 Chev HUW restoration
View Single Post
Old 19-03-23, 14:59
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Nice job Bruce...... did you get it machined for inserts or done in babbitt?

Sad to say there are no rebuilder shops left in the Ottawa area anymore.... now some will claim to do it all but it is usually just the re-assembly as most of the dirty work ( cleaning, magflux and machining) is sent to GTA or Mtl.....and guess who pays for the shipping!!!! So scary stories about not getting back exactly the same parts......like rod caps restamped with new numbers.
Original babbit (my second block is machined for inserts, that was Plan B), fiber timing gears (here's hoping for the best) and the head was rebuilt with all new guides. My master mechanic numbered everything (even the lifters) so everything will go back where it came from. One of the rocker arm bushings was loose (how??? why???) but that's an easy replacement from my 216 spares shelf. The engine is a CMP one and obviously re-done at some point (there's gobs of red silicone gasket sealer...they must have used a case of the stuff) but the engine is stock size and has virtually no wear. Just tar in the crank case and a broken oil scraper.