View Single Post
Old 08-09-22, 17:35

Default GREASE, Lubricating, Andoc ZA/CAN 4223

While picking up a supply of paint strainers last weekend at the local RONA Store, I spotted a couple of paint tins sitting on a lower shelf, so took a closer look at one.

It turned out to be an empty, 1-quart tin, priced at just under $5.00, and it was what I would consider a classic paint tin. No black plastic top and bottom and no interior ‘rubber’ liner on the lid or tin itself; just a coat of varnish. The 1-lb tin of grease that was part of the 52-Set kit popped into my head so I bought one of the tins on spec.

Turns out it is a perfect match for the tin illustrated in the Parts Manual. I had thought the tins might have been painted in the typical horizontal red, white and blue stripes from Imperil Oil with factory markings, but the illustration is clearly a bare metal tin. Probably something that helped keep the costs down for the supply contract during the war. All the identification was probably on the outside of the case of tins and on arrival at whatever Central Supply Depot, the typical small beige paper labels were added to each tin. Not sure who actually applies those labels to military supply packaging.

I will probably end up buying a couple of cartridges of the new replacement grease for the wartime Andoc and transferring it to this tin, when I clean and repack the bearings of the Supply Unit dynamotors.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Grease, Lubricating, Andoc 1.jpg   Grease, Lubricating, Andoc 2.JPG