Thread: The Queen
View Single Post
Old 09-09-22, 02:38
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
As did, I suspect, many here on this Forum. Sworn allegiance to the Sovereign, her Heirs and Successors . Same Crown, worn under different names around the world. For a large proportion of the world, for many generations still living in those countries, Queen Elizabeth has always been their Sovereign.

In Australia, the debate of becoming a Republic has been discussed a few times, but always put to rest out of respect while the Queen of Australia's reign continued, as being "not the right time to talk about it". Now that the "Heirs and Successors" come into play, I expect there will now be much vigorous discussion on the matter, based on there not (yet) being anywhere near as much respect for the new Monarch.

While the Queen did not play a direct role in the politics and governments of the Commonwealth, her presence gave a remarkable stability and moderation to those countries for 70 years that, I believe, has not been replicated anywhere else in the world in modern times, and quite possibly at any time in history.
Well said, complete concurrence.

I knew it was coming, but hoped it wouldn't have started today, however the "scrap the Monarchy and become a republic more like the Americans (we hate)" crazies are out in force on this most solemn of days.

I've toasted Her passing with an old friend and we both got weepy.