View Single Post
Old 22-09-22, 15:24
Pieter Bergman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
I measure the CMP can as very close to 6-3/4" diameter (including the rim, just because that is the easier dimension to take) and very close to 8-1/2" height (again including the rims) - so shorter and fatter than what the commercial reproductions. Getting into the detail, there is a difference in the water connection (as opposed to the central vent tube) on the bottom of the can between the cans made to mount on the cab side and those made to mount under the floor. In the attached photos, the underfloor mounted tank(s) is the one with the water connection on the side opposite the mounting straps so that the connection is (almost) at the low point of the tank whereas for the tank ponted on the side of the cab, the connection is closest to the cab and less exposed to damege. The can with dark green paint is the side of cab version, the others are the under floor version. The commercial reproduction construction more closely resembles the side of cab mounted CMP cans (both appear to have been mounted vertically rather than on an angle under the floor).

If only one version were to be reproduced, the one for use under the floor would probably be better (less volume of water sitting in the can at rest).
Also attached is a page on the condensor can from Convoy Magazine (Years ago, I did ask Marc Montgomery if it was acceptable to share the content of Convoy. He said it was OK.) The Convoy Magazine version is the under floor mount version.

There have been a number of discussions of the condensor/overflow/expansion tank/can over the years. One at http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...9647#post49647 included a drawing from Bruce Parker, attached to try to group information. Bruce's is the side of cab version.

Attachment 115471 Attachment 115470

Attachment 115472 Attachment 115473
Sorry for my late reaction on this thread since I'm now confronted with the search of a condensor.
Are there any pictures that show how the condensor is hooked up to the radiator??