View Single Post
Old 03-10-22, 19:17

Default BOXES, Tool, No. 1 WS Cdn. 52. ZA/CAN 4727

The tool box is now dry to the touch but the paint still has a soft feel to it. The manufacturers instructions advise it takes a good 14 days for the paint to hard cure and finally resist push back happening if any surfaces get a hard rub, and become fully wash tolerant.

I did want to get the touch ups done on the metal hardware, so carefully turned the box upright on my work table this morning and it is now resting on two small strips of wood located under the four lower corner plate screws.

The two photos today show the tool box before and after the touch up work was completed. Now the whole paint job can fully cure for the next 10 days, which it will likely take, now that the cooler, slightly more humid fall weather has arrived.

Even though I elected to go with an eggshell finish, rather than the original full flat, when I had the paint for this part of the project mixed, I am very much pleased with the colour match. The factory original full flat paint on the inside of the lid in these photos matches the new exterior paint perfectly.

I have to thanks Bruce Parker again for sending me his ‘parts’, Coil Aerial Tuning Unit for this project. The interior of it was still the factory original Flat Olive Drab green Marconi had used on all the wooden components of the 52-Set and the back cover of the coil box was what I took to the local paint shop to get matched. This is definitely an interesting paint colour. Depending on the lighting conditions you view it under, it can look either green, or brown, or some sort of bizzare mix of both colours. Even the technician at the shop could not tell and took three scans of it before being satisfied it was indeed ‘green’.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Cdn, Box, Tools AZ2.JPG   WS No. 52 Cdn, Box, Tools AZ3.JPG