View Single Post
Old 08-05-21, 01:52
Marty Morren

Default Little update and side curtain question

Not much has happened since the HUM passed the inspection. Last August, the Generator stopped working again. This was after I had a quick repair done to the armature coil as it was burned through at one point. I decided to send it off so it could be professionally rebuilt. The armature was sent to Italy where they could rewind it for several hundred euros less (the rest was done here in NL). Because of this, and most likely covid, it took several months to get it back. And when I got it back the truck did not come out of the garage because the winter had arrived and I don't want to drive the truck with all roads covered in wet salt...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	121810

Since the winter has passed (mostly...) we have driven it a couple of times and very much enjoyed it!

One of the last major visible changes for a while will be the restoration of the side curtains. 2 of them seem to be original with little to no work done to them while the other 5 had the canvas replaced. I'm not really a fan of the 'new' canvas, which has to be around 40 years old already, so I'll be using the 2 remaining original ones as templates for the new canvas.

While examining the, what seems to be, still original side curtains I noticed that they have some kind of small metal plates under some of the nuts.

Name:	side curtains1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	121836

Name:	Side curtains 2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	121837

One of the curtains which had new canvas added still has the original paint left, and the locations where the plates used to be are still visible. So it looks like the plates used to be on all the side curtains. (at least, all side curtains from the workshop area of the HUM.)

Does anyone know what these are and why they are there? Any info on this will be greatly appreciated!

My 1943 Chevrolet C8A HUM

Last edited by M.Morren; 08-05-21 at 02:09.