View Single Post
Old 04-03-04, 18:04
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Default GM/Ford? based armoured vehicles of the Dutch East Indies

http://members.lycos.co.uk/gceller57...gen-type-A.jpg

Hello,

On the attached picture you can see a 1940 "overvalwagen" (assault vehicle) or armoured personnel carrier of the Dutch East Indies Homeguards (Stadswacht). This was in fact an armoured truck on Chevrolet 4x2 chassis. Little is known about them and they deserve more attention. To do away with them as "improvised" or "armour clad" trucks is definitely outdated. They were relatively well made and series produced. Although the overvalwagens had many deficiencies and often played roles they were not up to, they were used extensively by the Dutch, the Australian army on Timor, then by the Japanese and after that both Dutch and Indonesians during the Indonesian Independence War (1945-50).

I am researching these overvalwagens and have found lots of information on how they were used. About the technical features little is known however. Common knowledge says the chassis were Chevrolet 4x2 (and since the overvalwagens were produced in 1940, I guess they were 1940 models).

In the original plan to raise and arm Homeguards (Stadswacht/Urban Guards) provision was made for around 65 overvalwagens. My educated guess says that about that number were produced.

The Stadswacht vehicle carried no fixed armament but the troops it carried could fire their guns and LMG's from various points while standing in the back. Chassis were provided by GM Priok while shipyards (Batavia e.g.) provided the armour cut from steel ship plating.

An interesting feature of this truck in many reports was that it could not drive backwards and had to be turned in wide open spaces.

As you can see the Soerakarta Stadswacht in the picture was one of the Homeguards that wore German Stahlhelm. Naturally, these Dutch and Indonesian troops were on the Allied side!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/gceller57...gen-type-B.jpg

There was also a more advanced type of overvalwagen (picture) commonly known as the type B or "Braat" after a metalworks in Surabaya, Eastern Java that had part in its production. The Braats were also built in the second half of 1940 but especially for the Dutch East Indies Army (KNIL) itself and are definitely the more intriguing version. They were reportedly designed by a KNIL Engineer Captain and were based on a Cab Over Engine (COE) truck chassis.

Now, this is were the mystery starts: According to the many vague and fuzzy references there were Chevrolet and Ford chassis and some of the vehicles were FWD. But we do not know which ones.

My theory is that the Chevrolet ones were all of the Stadswacht type (see last posting), and the Army vehicles on COE type chassis were possibly 1940 Ford/Marmon Herrington conversions or 1940 4x4 GMC COE types (these were delivered to Britain, but to Holland/NEI?). But maybe there were 4x2 vehicles as well.

Then there is the question of tonnage. These vehicles were huge and with all the armour, personnel and MG's quite heavy. A 3 ton truck rating should have been the minimum required I guess...

Braats came in different variants (depending on armament but basically the same vehicle):
  • APC with a aircooled Vickers 7.7 MMG, 15 or 16 were used by armoured infantry of the only Dutch East Indies tank battalion (Mobiele Eenheid) in Bandung, Java;
  • Scout/Cavalry with several LMG's, 9 were used by the 6th Cavalry squadron in the Surabaya area;
  • AA or airport defence with one watercooled Browing .50 AA MG and 4 Vickers MMG's (picture): a real mobile and armoured gun platform. Several used throughout the Indies during WW2 as well as the Indonesian Independence War;
  • A Marine version was converted by the Dutch Navy and some were armed with the oldfashioned jack of all trades Navy 3,7cm cannon that was designed in the 1870's! Not much of a gun, but it did looked menacing, fitted with a shield and all. Watercooled Vickers MMG's were fitted as well. The Navy battalion had 7 overvalwagens.
In all around 60-70 vehicles must have been built of this type, which brings the total number of overvalwagens to around 130.

After WW2 several Braats were converted by the Dutch Indies railroads into railway draisines that were used during the Indonesian Independence War (1945-1950). Some survive in Indonesian army museums.

In the whole story about overvalwanges it’s the chassis that remains a mystery. According to the many vague and fuzzy references there were Chevrolet and Ford chassis and some of the vehicles were FWD. But we do not know which ones.

My theory is that the Stadswacht type were all of the Chevrolet chassis type and the Braat/Army vehicles on COE type chassis were possibly:
  • 1940 Ford/Marmon Herrington conversions or
  • 1940 4x4 GMC COE types (these were delivered to Britain, but to Holland/NEI?) or
  • Chevrolet 4x2 COE converted to 4x4 by DAF and then sent to Priok or
  • simply 4x2 chassis after all.
Then there is the question of tonnage. These vehicles were huge and with all the armour, personnel and MG's quite heavy. A 3 ton truck rating should have been the minimum required I guess...

Anyway, I hope someone and especially David Hayward can say something about the chassis story for which I would be extremely grateful. Any other remarks, additions, corrections, reactions, critiques are most welcome.

Kind regards,
Nuyt

PS: the pictures stem form a Dutch defunct magazin on KNIL and were put on another internet forum by Mr George Eller