Thread: How To: 1944 Chev HUW restoration
View Single Post
Old 23-07-21, 05:25
GM Fox I

24 hour watch? Sleep? Was there overlap between the drivers and signalers? I know how it was done in the late 1970's/early 1980's but don't know if that is relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Hi Bruce.

The 2K1 WIRE-5 Crew Compliment was only 4: Driver and Co-Driver in the Cab and two in the Box.

The Wireless Operator was centred facing forward in front of the Wireless Table and the Cypher Clerk faced left on the left rear side of the floor in front of the left rear window with the mailbox slot in the screen and the small folding table on the side wall below the rear window. Their seats were identical to the Cab Seats but mounted on different brackets on the floor. The arrangement allowed for the Generator Compartment Door to be swing wide open when necessary. The arrangement also allowed easy access for both men to the overhead Signal Buzzer Cord strung along the left side of the ceiling about a quarter of the way in from the left side wall.

I think I read somewhere as well that the Co-Driver was a Senior NCO in charge of the 4-Man Team.

Cozy, but doable arrangement.

David