View Single Post
Old 25-06-13, 14:14

Default 39 update

The rear panel fits around the timber frame and is nailed across the top and across the bottom. The sides are attached to the frame by sliding up over a 25mm strip of metal that is nailed along the side timbers. To make this panel, the top section is prefolded over wit a 20mm edge. The bottom areas are similarly folded over to fit the bottom timbers. A 12mm edge is folded over on the curved sides. Once the side strip is nailed in place the whole panel is simply slipped up from the bottom, with the sides engaging the metal strip and locking the sides into place. The fact that the top edge is already folded over means it gets really tight when almost all the way in place. I greased the sides to assist in putting the panel into place. There are not too many of these vehicles that have been restored and I wonder has anyone had to make and fit a rear panel like this since the early1940's when these vehicles were last produced. And I wonder why the hell did they not just screw the bloody thing on. Oh and once in place and the top and bottom nails are put in, guess what. You weld the top corners to the side panels!!!! Then you lead wipe the corner joins for a nice finish!!!
Attached Thumbnails
2013-06-23 16.03.33.jpg   2013-06-24 18.21.12.jpg   2013-06-24 18.22.09.jpg   2013-06-24 18.22.27.jpg