View Single Post
Old 22-01-22, 01:38
GM Fox I

Definitely there were black armoured corps coveralls, and your pic in front of that beast of an armoured car sure looks like black battledress for the same reason. I can't confirm, maybe somebody else can.

The pics of your battledress sure looks as if the internal cotton pockets were died instead of the whole tunic made from black wool. I also see the CWA stamp on the collar. This is not the C/|\ acceptance stamp. It was basically a sold surplus stamp which might suggest a post war die job for whatever reason. Or a WW2 armoured corps/POW one sold surplus? I guess that might depend on if you can determine if the stamp was pre or post die job.

Contact Ed Storey, he's an expert on this sort of thing.

One last comment. The stitching does indicate some shoulder title was there. But....if this is a period correct battledress for armoured corps use there is a problem. The black would have been a very early war thing well before they used sewn on shoulder titles. Later in the war the black battledress (if such a thing existed) would have been abandoned and titles sewn on khaki battledress. So basically, a black battledress and sewn on titles are historically mismatched.