Thread: How To: C15a Wire-3 restoration
View Single Post
Old 18-07-15, 01:50

Default How do you planned to weld?

Hi Jordan

How do you plan weld the panel on? Pinch spot weld, or plug weld?

Either way you will need to clean down to bare metal at the weld points, if you are going to plug weld I'd lay out the panel drill holes to match the spacing on the orginal. Prep the cab frame paint with POR 15 let dry real good then mark all the weld points, spot grind all the weld points to bare steel. Be careful of the fumes from welding close to POR 15. Think you will get pretty good rust protection down in the joint.

If you are going to pinch weld then I'd go with a weld through primer on panel and cab frame. Some of the weld through primers work better than others. Best one I've found for good welding is SEM 40783 Copperweld which welds really weld with MIG or Pinch Spot no personal long term testing on rust protection. Other that I used is Martin Senour NAPA 7221 Zinc Weld Thru Primer, it doesn't weld as smoothly with MIG and it needs a light coat for good spot weld, but it does protect from rust very well. I've had test panel with just the NAPA stuff out in the rain under roof edge hanging so that it gets wet every time it rains. No rust after two years.

Hope this helps

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com