View Single Post
Old 01-02-15, 23:21
Mr. HUP

Default Busy Weekend - Saturday

It was so cold out that our customary visits from the mosquito population inside the barn failed to materialize. Even with Lucifer belching out a massive number of BTUs, the barn failed to reach 40oF until well after lunch. The hottest it got was just under 60oF at closing time...

Bob's first task was to rev up the tractor and blast away the snow that had fallen. Fortunately, there was no wind to contend with making the task a little less difficult. While Bob was flailing the snow, I carried on with the usual duties of clearing snow.

Grant joined us after lunch, at which time both he and Bob tackled the removal of the skin of his Cab 11 lower rear cab frame. Bob built a jig to ensure accuracy when he reskins the frame.

While the lads were busy with the jig, I began the weld job on my M37 fender. The lower patch went in quite well and I was pleased with the results. Rather than wait for the patch panels from the US, I decided to tackle the patching of the hole in the front of the fender using whatever was available at the barn. Fortunately, Bob had stocked the barn with lots of metal rod, bar and sheets of steel. Over the past few years, Grant and I have added to the stock, restricting runs to the steel shop for odd pieces of metal.

The afternoon was spent mostly inside with one exception. Bob and Grant took a quick trip to the back 40 to look over steering arms. They didn't stay outside for long. As usual, time flew by way too quickly and we closed up shop and headed home.

Photos:

1 - Bob admiring his handiwork
2 - The jig
3 - Lower end patch completed - M37 Fender
4 - Damage at the upper end - the previous patch is easy to spot
5 - Prep for welding
Attached Thumbnails
bob jig.jpg   jig.jpg   done end.jpg   top rot.jpg   patch.jpg