View Single Post
Old 10-02-17, 08:58
Tony Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnixartillery View Post
Most of the parts I have are take offs, so there is one reason or another for this and unfortunately damage or wear is the most common but as I have mentioned to another forum member something is better than nothing especially if you have start to make something from scratch it can be mighty expensive !

Rob................rnixartillery.
Absolutely! Nothing decades old is pristine any more. There's nothing that makes any of my parts undesirable. Why do we restore MVs? Because they're not perfect, right? That is the lot of the restorer. To find NOS anything these days would be almost unheard of. I'm well pleased with all my purchases. If not, wouldn't have bought them, and only reason I mention that one pedal is for curiosity value of what must have occured in dark past. Quite possibly an 'in service' repair job. Getting any piece of this great big puzzle is always exciting, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant.

My hand spikes will be timber, as they will only be for show. Ideally they will be sanded very smooth and painted to disguise that fact. As Rob said, the real McCoy would be hugely expensive to ship. I don't have any opportunity to catch a ride in someone elses container. To be perfectly frank, I really don't need the spikes at all. Most guns no longer have them anyway, al least the ones I see on display don't. Mine will be remaining in their holding brackets. I would like the part that fits into the socket to be made of metal, but if that isn't practical, then the timber can be turned to simulate that.

Jack, I won't need a six foot lathe bed. The wooden poles are presently 6ft long. Whatever the original length is, those poles will be shortened to that size, but even if half that size, I don't think my friends lathe/s are that long. His metal lathe, like most of those type, has the ability to have a long portion of the pole sticking out of the rear of the chuck. That should be a workable proposition. He says the speed will have to be set correctly or the portion out behind his chuck will start to wobble. How much wobble, we won't know until tested, and the density of the wood will also play a part. If pre-cut to around 3ft length, wobble shouldn't be a problem really.

Last edited by Private_collector; 10-02-17 at 09:10.