View Single Post
Old 24-01-05, 23:25
RIP

Default Re: Liberator on a Liberator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Garry, IŽll see if I can get in touch with Joeri (heŽs from Belgium, actually). Now that I know what to look for IŽll keep my eyes open at the military vehicle events I will attend this year to get some more pictures.
Hanno,
You won't believe this one.Back in 1973,when I was young and single and my pockets jingled, I bought a book called "The Lancaster at War" by Mike Garbett and Brian Goulding which my father was leafing through.Now,this book is about a bomber aka Air Force.Lo and behold on page 126,he looks over to me and says"He took my picture".I asked what he was talking about!!.So ,he goes on to explain that while on leave in London, while crossing Trafalgar Square,he noticed a photographer,with a camera on a tripod taking photos of a Lancaster bomber,up on a pedastal in the square used to buy war bonds.The photo is captioned "Wings of Victory",and believe it or not,there goes,right in front of the photo,our one and only CMP driver, right in the front of the picture, under the nose of the bomber.I wonder how many guys like him are published in books,making it two for him.What are the odds??Beats me.I wish I had a scanner for the additional pictures I have.What a shame that I can't share them.