View Single Post
Old 07-03-10, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpns 421 View Post
For the condition it was expensive and no registration. Be it CMP or MLVW, Iltis Willys jeep, we have an excuse its called addiction to green mean army machines.
Yup it was more than "I" wanted to pay for it. Yes I was the guy that paid too much for it.

But I have wanted a Canadian CUCV M1010 for a while now and this by far the cheapest I would have been able to get one. The no registration thing is no issue for me being in Alberta. Just present bill of sale and an out of province inspection and it's registered.

The Unit was a non runner but upon close examination before the auction it had been running not too long previously before being surplused off. For an Ontario truck of that age it is in decent shape you got to remember it is now 24 years old.

Here is the condition the unit is in.

The cab is solid except for a dime sized hole in each cab corner. The cabs on these trucks usually rust out all around the windshield but this one is as solid as the day it was built.
The front Fenders are useable but will most likely be replaced with new ones.
The Drivers door is salvageable with some cutting and welding. But it will be replaced with a new one.
The passenger door has a big oil can dent that could be removed. But it likely will be replaced with new as well.
The inner fenders are rotted but all GM trucks of in that body style and age have the inner fenders rotted even western trucks.
The hood has the typical GM crack in the center of it, it will be replaced with a new one that has the extra strengthening in this area..
The cab roof has dents from guys standing on it servicing the Van body AC unit. But they will pull out. And I'm not too concerned with them any how.

The Dash is completly grenaded and degraded and that will most likely be one of the biggest cost items to replace at about $400. If I can not find a good used one.

The exhaust is complexly shot and will need full replacement but that is to be expected on a 24 year old truck and the fact it was a diesel only compounded the issue since it spent most of its life pre ULSD. Also when I replace it will be up sized to 2.5" for its full length for engine better breathing

The truck was deployed over seas as it has UN White paint under several layer of Green CARC.

It does has a rather unique in the field DND repair, the drivers door handle push button has been replaced with a hand carved wood replacement. That is going to stay on the truck.

Fortunately replacement panels for this series of GM/Chev trucks are dirt cheap.
I will be able to replace the fenders, the doors, inner fenders, Cab corners, and the hood with brand new panels for less than $1000. Replacement Cab Corners are all of $20 a side inner fenders $50 each....well you get the idea.

The Van body is in perfect condition other than multiple layers of CARC paint. And the missing jerry can holder off the back, that was stashed away in one of the lower storage cabinets
The only issues with the van body. The siren is seized and the mounting bracket for the light and siren will need some metal replaced. Structurally it is perfect with no perforation, corrosion, rip tears or dents.

The truck chassis has the typical GM Electrical bugaboo’s the Front left marker light has a bad ground or bad connection some where but the signals worked fine. Far less electrical problems than most of the GM/Chev trucks of this age on road. Mechanically the truck is perfect and needs nothing.

The DND modded the charging system and removed the twin alternators and replaced them with a single large dual voltage (12v & 24V) output alternator. A much better set up in my opinion. The under hood wiring will need sorted and cleaned up though.

After winning the auction I went and grabbed 2 new batteries dropped them in and the unit fired right up on the fist crank.
The AC for the Van body works as did the Heater for the back other than a bad exhaust connection.
It even had a full tank of fuel in it that got some diesel treatment since I had no idea how old it was. After going through the truck to make sure it was road worthy. Brakes steering Lights etc. I phoned my insurance agent had her fax a temp pink card out to me threw my plate on it and off I went..
Before I drove it any distance I had the engine oil changed and the Exhaust scab patched.

I drove it back from the auction to Edmonton, with no issues other than being limited to 90- 100Kph due to the low gearing, further compounded by under sized tires.
The gearing will get changed from the low 4.56's to a more streetable 3:73
The engine did not use a drop of oil and the drive line worked as good as new.

The truck drives like a brand new truck (what do ya expect with only 32K Km) and I had not one problem making the 2200 mile drive back to Alberta. In fact it drove and rode almost as good as my Excursion. And being a 6.2L diesel fuel mileage was pretty damn good (about 15MPG) considering the low gears

The Van body on the M1010 is of solid aluminum construction, the only steel in the van body is the upper stretcher support racking. There is far more value in scrap aluminum in the van body than what I paid for the truck.

The Truck is now in storage at the acreage for the interim. And when i'm done messing with my iltises then it will get a full body off restoration.

This will be a very easy restoration that will not break the bank due to the low cost of replacement parts for this series of GM/Chev trucks Plus I can get bits and pieces from the local U-Pull it yard. I could do 3 of these trucks for the cost of one frame off Iltis. The single biggest issue will be removing the multiple layers of CARC paint. I see lots of paint stripper in my future lol.

Upon my initial purchase it was more than I really wanted to pay but in the end it turned out to be good deal since the only major problems with the truck are the truck body sheet metal issues. And those are cheap parts to replace.

Matthew