View Single Post
Old 07-03-10, 20:27
Gilles Chartrand

Hi Matthew Iam really happy that the purchased turned out so good, and that the truck runs well. The truck came from the Niagara area and has done 3 oversea tours. it belonged to a reserve unit. You are absolutely right about the repairs and the cost is very cheap, that's the nice thing about the Chevs\GMC, aftermarket parts are very cheap.
I recently bought a M1010 ambulance in the US exactly the same as yours, the body was perfect nothing to do except give it a new coat of paint so I thought. Eastern Surplus checked it over and I ended up changing the dash,the radiator, all new belts, new front calipers, new hydro booster, new master cylinder, new rear brakes, all new rear lines cost $2600 labour included. When you go over the truck make sure to check the anti freeze to make sure that it contains no transmisssion fluid. Mine had a small hole in the bottom half of the rad and the tranny fluid was seeping into the upper rad
I paid the M1010 $3200 + 2600= $5800. Pricey for me no because the ambulanmce is being given to my wife on her birthday. (ex-medic).
If you run across that dual alternator I would be interested in getting one as the amb I have is only 12V. Welcome to the club. As soon as I give mine to my wife I will post pictures, please do the same when you get a chance.
We have to have more voices in the post war vehicle section. Gilles