View Single Post
Old 14-04-21, 22:15

Default In your own back yard Brain......

Smith & Stone had machinery with WD brass tags....... they were making the stretched brass casings for .303 during the war......... the same machines were still in operation, although slightly modified, in the early 80s stretching battery casings for AA and AAA batteries.....

Woods canvass in Hull PQ stopped making army tents and made football and hockey equipment......after all they had all the heavy sewing machines needed...

.....and E B Eddy and J R Booth helped the Federal Gov. burning surplus special war time money meant for the landing troups and allegedly fake German Marks meant to undermine the occupation economy in Europe..... after all the paper plant had the large boilers as incinerators. Again allegedly some employees got into trouble for raking out thightly rolled unburned currency until the RCMP got wise and posted guards by the ash pits...... the boilers were five story highs and powdered coal was dumped in at the top with truckloads of government papers....... my dad was a stationary engineer at the Chaudiere plant and I regularly visited his steam plant during downtime of high holidays. The story goes that certain extended families never ran out of rationed food when tons of expired food stamps booklets were destroyed.... on the positive side most of the post war crew were ex military and the majority had either limbs missing or disfigured facial burns but hard workers they were...... one Dutch DP ( displaced person) called De Hoog got caught between a massive capstan and a one inch steel cable and cut in half............. my Dad removed him and wrapped him in a tarp.....and was off for 3 days!!!!!!! During the war years my dad was exempt from service but worked 7 days a week and once a week worked 12 hours during shift changes.....24/7 365 days a year..... as a first class engineer he earned just over $1000 p.a. in 1939 even with all the hours.... and no union.

Small world......
Canada