View Single Post
Old 10-03-03, 16:52
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Wading Gear - Firefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering "p.s. The pictures that Mark posted show "Carole", the firefly I want to construct"
Alex;

The two pictures I posted of a Firefly (1 & 2), are of a Firefly of "C" Sqn, 13th/18th Royal Hussars, which you say carried the name 'Carole'. By 1944, after the Regiment was equipped with Shermans, they started using the common system of naming their tanks after the Squadron letter, except on their light tanks. Also, they carried large identification numbers, ussaully on the turrets and for "C" Sqn, the numbers used were 66-80 inclusive.

RHQ and "C" Sqn were the "Wading" components of the Regiment on D-Day, landing at H Hour + 45. On 6 June 1944, the Regiment had on strength only 4x 17pdr Firefly, all of which were in "C" Sqn (1 per Troop/each Troop: 3x 75mm, 1x 17pdr).

In regards to "Wading Gear", all photo references I've seen indicate that the 13th/18th Hussars only used the larger rear duct (dispels exhaust gases), the plain rectangular open ended type, on their "Wading" element Shermans. In no pictures, is there any sign of them using the other (air intake) duct.

Have found one picture of the bottom coupling for the rear duct on a Firefly, after the top portion was removed after landing, its not very clear, but hopefully it helps.

If you want, send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a series of photos I have of the "Wading" elements (RHQ & "C" Sqn) of the 13th/18th Royal Hussars on 6 June.

Sorry Guys, if I were to post the photos here, it would be a series of individual posts.

Alex, the picture of the Firefly rear duct:

p.s. - Hanno - I have pictures of the 3rd County of London Yeomanry using the "scooped topped" rear ducts on their Shermans, and again, they only used the rear duct - interested?

Cheers
Attached Images