View Single Post
Old 09-05-17, 13:27
Rick Cove

Cliff, I don't know if this helps you or not, but to fit the additional armour so that the top edge is level, the curve in the side panels has to be removed. From memory on the 1:1 scale vehicle, they made a straight cut to removed a bit out of the curve about 3/4" deep at the side join, tapering out about 15 to 18 inches each side of the join.

There is one scout car in OZ which has been returned from an AOP to an original shape by the removal of the added armour and the owner did not realize that he had to add that 3/4 inch curved bit back to get the gentle curve of the original. It just looks wrong.

The post on the front bumper behind the roller folds down and lays across the bumper with a bracket and pin to hold it down when horizontal. It has a slot angled across the top to enable the telephone line to be fitted when it is vertical to allow retrieval when on the move. A winch set up is mounted on the left locker over the right rear wheel. This locker then has two small hinged doors cut into the vertical side so that items can be placed and removed from the locker as the top cannot be lifted because of the winch.

Boys anti-tank rifle mounts are also fitted to the rear armour and to the front. (I think the front one goes between the windscreens welded to the skate rail.) I have both here if you want a photo.

The rear bumper bar is shortened to two small parts around the tail lights and fitted with a step made of 1/2" bar welded below. The two inner mounts are cut, bent inwards and welded to form a triangle to support the spare wheel which sits on the rear step with two inverted pieces of angle welded to the step to stop the spare wheel from rolling towards the side of the vehicle.

Regards Rick
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.

Last edited by lynx42; 09-05-17 at 13:33.